We make our own bread, and it is one of the easiest and most satisfying ways to get into cooking from scratch. You can read the full story on why making your own bread can be the cornerstone of eating better for less money in our why we make our own bread post.
What you need:
- a bread machine
- a loaf pan
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp yeast
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp salt
What you do:
- Add ingredients to bread machine’s pan in order listed.
- Select the dough cycle on your bread machine, insert pan, press start
- At end of dough cycle (usually 1.5 hours) remove pan from machine
- Lightly grease loaf pan with butter, leftover cooking grease or some of the oil you used in the recipe
- Remove the dough from the machine’s pan and gently work it into a cylinder that will into your loaf pan
- Cover the dough and loaf pan with plastic wrap or a damp cloth to keep it from drying out
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Let dough rise for 30-45 minutes (or until the dough is about 1 inch over the top of a standard loaf pan
- Bake for 30 minutes on a rack placed in the middle of your oven
- Enjoy your fresh, warm, made from scratch bread!